Schaffer's Mill, Truckee, California, 96161
Schaffer's Mill is also close to the public beaches of Lake Tahoe and it is only twelve and one-half (12.5) miles north of downtown Kings Beach. The Schaffer's Mill community is located in Placer County.
The Schaffer's Mill neighborhood is a luxury, gated, private golf course community that was purchased in 2011 by New Martis Partners a Dallas based real estate development firm that specializes in the creation of family-oriented communities.
Originally known as "Timilick", the planned community was re-named after George Schaffer, who was consider the "Father of Truckee" who opened a large saw mill in Martis Valley back in 1871 to help meet the growing demands for lumber in the the Sacramento and Bay Areas.
The 18-Hole award winning championship golf course was designed by Johnny Miller and John Harbottle, which opened in 2007. The Schaffer's Mill golf course is a par 71 and plays to over 7,000 yards and is considered one of the finest golf courses (private, but there is limited non-member play) in the North Lake Tahoe - Truckee area.
The Schaffer's Mill community has been designed for all seasons and offers a number of recreational amenities including the Championship 18-hole golf course, a 7.4 acre Clubhouse Village that features a sports shop, restaurant, cafe, members' only men's and women's Locker Rooms, Millworks (fitness center), Seasonal Pool, Year-around in-ground Spas/hot tub,Tennis Courts, Basketball area, Club Yacht, Base Camp (Northstar ski lounge area for members), Club Concierge & Shuttle, and Shaffer's Square.
The Schaffer's Mill community has new, and newer, larger mountain style homes that meet the Schaffer's Mill Design Review community standards. You will find a variety of high-end mountain style homes ranging from the traditional mountain to mountain contemporary styles in this community. They also have townhomes/condos called "Mountain Lodges" for those that want more support and management with their second home properties.
Schaffer's Mill should have approximately +/- 218 Single Family Homes (lots) and 188 Mountain Lodges (condos) built in the development when it is completed, or +/-406 properties. The entire Shaffer's Mill development covers 475 acres.
Single family Home-sites range from 0.25 to 0.75 acres and range from 2,900 to 3,700 square feet in size. Approximately +/- 263 homes and condos have been built as of September 2016, putting Schaffer's Mill at about 65% built-out. Full-time residents represent approximately 16%, leaving about 84% as second home owners.
The Schaffer's Mill golf community is a combination of developer owned amenities and private home ownership. The Schaffer's Mill Golf Course and community amenities are not owner-equity.
All Schaffer's Mill property owners are required to pay a Social Membership fee of$700/quarterly fee (approximately $2,800/year), which covers maintenance of common areas, private road maintenance snow removal on Schaffer Mill Road and Interior Roads within the development. It also covers the guard/gate house.
Mountain Lodge Townhome owners pay an additional fee for exterior maintenance, landscaping, insurance, snow removal, and professional management.
If you are looking to buy into the Schaffer's Mill community, you'll find a variety of settings ranging from spectacular mountain views, many of the Northstar Ski Resort, golf course, ponds, season creeks/rivers, and forest settings.
The Schaffer's Mill area is known for its easy year-around access, nice wide streets, and the affordability of higher-end, luxury, new/newer construction homes and townhouses/condos that are located in this neighborhood that is close to Northstar, Downtown Historic Truckee and Kings Beach in Lake Tahoe!
As a potential buyer for the Schaffer's Mill community you'll enjoy lower HOA fees and ease of ownership.
Schaffer's Mill became a well-know community, as it was home to the HGTV Dream Home in 2014. Homes and Townhomes/Condos for sale in Schaffer's Mill area are very desirable because of their close proximity to the Northstar Ski Resort area (high-season shuttle and owners' lounge known as "Base Camp" in the Northstar Village), downtown Historic Truckee, Donner Lake, and the North Lake Tahoe area.
Schaffer's MIll owners enjoy the Tahoe lifestyle and all of the outdoor recreational activities that our area has to offer such as boating, hiking, biking, tennis, golf, skiing, shopping, and restaurants and so much more!
The Schaffer's Mill area is a favorite luxury home community for second home owners and it is a great place to live all year long!
Ready to start your Schaffer's Mill real estate property search?
See all of the Schaffer's Mill area homes and condos/townhouses listed for sale in the Tahoe Sierra Multiple listing service here.
If you don't find what you are looking for, give me a call - Laura Allen 530.414.1260 I'm here ready to help you too!
Schaffer's Mill Homes or Sale Market Report - Long-Term Real Estate Market Information and Market Trends
Want to find out your Schaffer's Mill Home Market Value?
Schaffer's Mill Community Association Details:
- Schaffer's Mill is located in Martis Valley in unincorporated Placer County in the state of California, zip code 96161, and is identified with the town of Truckee
- Elevation at the entrance to Schaffer's Mill is approximately 6,519 feet above sea level
- Approximately +/- 218 Residential Home-site parcels
- Homes range in size from +/- 2,900 square feet to +/- 3,700 square feet
- Interior Views
- Nature Views
- Mountain Views
- Golf/Mountain Views
- Approximately +/- 188 Mountain Lodges (townhouse/condos)
- Mountain Lodges/Townhomes range in size from +/- 2,300 square feet to +/- 3,100 square feet
- Two styles Mountain Lodge, or Townhome with one shared wall
- Total single family homes and condos +/- 406
- Approximately +/- 475 Acres
- Zoning in the area: Single Family Homes and Townhouse/Condominiums
- Mail Delivery via the US Postal System for owners comes in the form of a lock box system, with multiple boxes locked in a single location for residents to pick up .
- Most homes are heated by either natural gas, electricity, or solar.
- Water is supplied to the area through the Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD).
- Sewer - All properties in the Schaffer's Mill area must be tied into the Tahoe Truckee Sanitary Agency (TTSA) public sewer system. Septic systems are not allowed in the Schaffer's Mill area.
- Pets are allowed, but there are pet owner rules so you'll want to check out the CC&R's, ByLaws, and House Rules
- No Property Fencing is allowed, however they may allow something small to accommodate dogs. You'll want to check with the Design Review Committee before building any fencing and look at the possibility of electronic fencing.
- Rentals - Short-term vacation rental are allowed. Long-term rentals of more than 30 days are permitted. Renters have full access to all amenities.
- Schaffer's Mill Golf Club is located at 9045 Heartwood Drive, Truckee, CA 96161 | 530.582.6964
- Club House (Built in 2013) covering over +/- 7.4 acres with a Private restaurant and bar, fitness center, swimming pool and gathering lawn known as "Schaffer's Square"
- Tennis Courts: Two (2) Tennis Courts
- Basketball half-court practice area
- Fitness Center known as "Mill Works"
- In-ground year-around spa/hot tub
- "Schaffer's Square" - Large Lawn Owners' Gathering Area
- Walking Trails, Cross Country Ski Trails, Snow Shoeing, Fishing Ponds, and access for hiking, biking, horseback riding and/or snowmobiling
- Schaffer's Mill Mandatory Home Owner Association (HOA) Social Membership:
- All property owners homes|townhomes/condos must be members of the Schaffer's Mill HOA (Social Membership) - $3,960/year (Year: 2017), which works out to be about $330/month for those that want to compare HOA fees on a monthly basis.
- HOA fee covers common area maintenance, private road maintenance, snow removal on roads, and 24-hour Gatehouse, and access to all recreational amenities except for the golf course.
- Schaffer's Mill Mountain Lodges and Townhouse/Condos also come with a separate Home Owner Association (HOA) Fee. In addition to the Schaffer's Mill Mandatory Social Membership Fee, all Mountain Lodge/townhouse property owners have two (2) HOA fees:
- Cost at: $395/month (Year: 2017), which covers property insurance, snow removal (driveways), landscaping, and all exterior maintenance on the units.
- Townhouse/Condo Buyer Note: Depending on the listing agent, the HOA fees quoted on-line may include the cost of the Social Membership broken down into a monthly increment.
- When that happens the monthly HOA fee is listed at $725/month ($330/month Social Membership plus Townhouse HOA fee of $395/month).
- Be sure to ask your Buyers' agent what the current fee structure is for the unit you are considering to avoid any misunderstanding.
- Schaffer's Mill Golf Optional Membership Cost: Initiation Fee $5,000 (Year: 2017) Annual Fees Cost: $4,724 (Year: 2017)
- Schaffer's Mill Transfer (Between Buyer/Seller) Doc Prep Fee Cost: $400 (Year: 2017)
- Schaffer's Mill Property Owners do have a private transfer/exit fee of 0.5% of the final sales price.
- No special Mellos Roos Fees.
- Schaffer's Mill Non-property Owner Golf Memberships - Property ownership is not required to have a Schaffer's Mill Golf Membership. Additional information can be provided.
- Review Committee - If you are building a new home, you'll have to work with the Design Review Committee.
Check out these photos on Schaffer's Mill!
FREE Market Analysis for your Schaffer's Mill!
Call Laura Allen at 530.414.1260for a confidential consultation.
Overview and summary of this neighborhood completed by:
BROKER ASSOCIATE, Tahoe Real Estate Agent, Tahoe REALTOR®, CRS
Coldwell Banker CalBRE# 01908304
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Buyers should investigate and verify all information to their own satisfaction.