Lahontan, Truckee, California, 96161
The Lahontan Community and Golf Club neighborhood of Truckee, California is located approximately five (5) miles north of Historic Downtown Truckee, seven and one-half (7.5) miles north of the Village at Northstar Ski Resort area, and only twelve and one-half (12.5) miles north of downtown Kings Beach and the public beaches of Lake Tahoe. The Lahontan community is located in Placer County.
The Lahontan neighborhood is a luxury, gated, private golf course community that broke ground by the developer back in September 1996. Just two years later in July 1998, the 18 Hole Tom Weiskopf Golf Course opened for play and set the standard for private golf courses in the North Lake Tahoe - Truckee area.
The Lahontan community has new, and newer, larger mountain style homes that meet the Lahontan Design Review community standards. You will find a variety of high-end mountain style homes ranging from the traditional mountain lodge style to mountain contemporary in this community.
Lahontan has approximately +/- 509 parcels covering 906 acres. Approximately +/- 250 homes have been built as of May 2016, putting Lahontan at about 50% built-out. Full-time residents represent approximately 11-12%, leaving about 88% as second home owners.
Between 2005-2009 the golf community made the move to becoming an owner-equity development and as of 2009 that transition was completed and today the Lahontan Golf Members are equity memberships. The golf membership is restricted to 350 members and all memberships have been sold. The only way to get a golf membership is to buy one from another member. Golf members have access to all Lahontan recreational amenities, including the 18 Hole Golf Course, the Par 3 Golf Course. All golf members pay an annual fee, and for 2016 that fee was approximately $15,900/annual.
If you'd like to be a Lahontan golf member, you do not have to be a property owner in the Lahontan subdivision. Out of the 350 Lahontan Golf Members, approximately 130 are not current property owners. If you are looking to become a member in the Lahontan Golf Community, there are currently several golf membership available for sale, however, as market conditions change, you may find that are no memberships available for sale. The re-sale market value was between $25,000 - $40,000 in early 2018. In addition to the purchase price there is an additional $10,000 transfer fee, or 25% of the golf membership sales price, which ever is larger (that break point is just about $40,000, when the fee begins to increase).
The Lahontan community also offers a Social Membership, which is a non-equity membership and provides members access to all recreational amenities, except for the 18 Hole Golf Course, Par 3, and Golf Practice area. Social Members also pay an annual fee and for 2018 that was approximately $7,950/annual.
Lastly, all Lahontan property owners are required to pay a $700/quarterly fee (approximately $2,800/year), which covers maintenance of common areas, private road maintenance snow removal on Schaffer Mill Road and Interior Roads with in Lahontan 24-hour Gatehouse, and Design Review. If a Lahontan property owner wants access to the pool, spa, even the playground area, you must be a Lahontan Social Member.
If you are looking to buy into the Lahontan community, you'll find a variety of settings ranging from spectacular mountain views, many of the Northstar Ski Resort, golf course, pond, season creeks/rivers, meadows, and forest settings.
The Lahontan area is known for its easy year-around access, the larger lot sizes, nice wide streets, and the high-end, luxury, new/newer construction homes that are located in this neighborhood. As a potential buyer for the Lahontan community you'll be impressed with financial management of the how well run the community is with approximately 93% of the 30-year replacement budget funded, and 100% of their 25-year replacement budget has been funded.
If you're looking for lower, stable HOA fees, you'll like that the current dues amount of $700/quarter for property owners has only increased $40 since the gated golf course community inception over 20 years ago.
In addition to being a financially stable and being a fiscally responsible group, there are no Mello-Roos fees. Property owners will pay a transfer fee between property owners, which is only $400 (as of 2018).
There is no private exit transfer fee of 1%-2% that is based upon the sales price of the property in Lahontan, just their own internal transfer fee.
Lahontan homes for sale are very desirable because of their close proximity to the Northstar Ski Resort area, downtown Historic Truckee, Donner Lake, and the North Lake Tahoe area, where you'll enjoy the Tahoe lifestyle and all of the outdoor recreational activities our area has to offer such as boating, hiking, biking, tennis, golf, skiing, shopping, and restaurants that the area has to offer.
Lahontan mountain homes sold in the price range of just over $1.1 million to just over $3.2 in the past 18 months. Currently you'll find homes for sale in Lahontan ranging from the mid $1.5 million to just under $5 million in price. The selection of Lahontan homes will vary from a modest mountain house that in the smaller range of 2,000 square feet to, under 3,250 square feet to the largest selection of custom homes between 3,250 - 6,000 square feet, and you'll find properties that have more than 6,000+ square feet. In 2014 one of the largest homes was sold in Lahontan with approximately 9,000 square feet, so there is something for everyone in Lahontan!
The Lahontan area is a favorite luxury home community for second home owners and it is a great place to live all year long!
Ready to start your Lahontan Tahoe real estate property search?
See all of the Lahontan area homes listed for sale in the Tahoe Sierra Multiple listing service here.
If you don't find what you are looking for, give me a call - Laura Allen 530-414-1260 I'm here ready to help you too!
Lahontan Community Association Details:
- Lahontan is located in Martis Valley in unincorporated Placer County in the state of California, zip code 96161
- Elevation at the entrance to Lahontan is approximately 6,519 feet above sea level
- Approximately +/- 509 Residential parcels
- Approximately +/- 906 Acres
- Zoning in the area: Single Family Residential Lots
- Mail Delivery via the US Postal System for owners comes in the form of a lock box system, with multiple boxes locked in a single location for residents to pick up .
- Most homes are heated by either natural gas, or electricity.
- Garbage is picked up once a week. It is highly recommended that property owners install a "bear box" to house their garbage cans.
- Water is supplied to the area through the Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD).
- Sewer - All properties in the Lahontan area must be tied into the Tahoe Truckee Sanitary Agency (TTSA) public sewer system. Septic systems are not allowed in the Lahontan area.
- Lahontan Mandatory Home Owner Association (HOA) - All property owners are members of the Lahontan HOA - $700/quarter ($2,800/year) covers common area maintenance, private road maintenance, snow removal on roads, and 24-hour Gatehouse.
- Pets are allowed, but there are pet owner rules so you'll want to check out the CC&R's, ByLaws, and House Rules
- Limited Property Fencing is allowed to accommodate dogs, but you can not fully fence in your area. You'll want to check with the Design Review Committee before building any fencing
- Rentals - No short-term vacation rental are allowed. Long-term rentals of more than 30 days are permitted, however, renters do not have access to any of the Golf Equity Member, or Social Membership amenities. That means your renter can not use the pool, tennis courts, playground equipment, fitness center, etc...
- Home Owners can set up a House Guest Access Pass for guests that may be staying at their Lahontan home, while the owner is not is residence. Guest Member Passes must be set up in advance, cost $100/week (Day Guest Passes are also available), and are limited to no more than 2 weeks with out the Lahontan Member being present.
- Optional Lahontan Golf Equity, or Invitational Memberships - Property ownership is not required to own a Lahontan Golf Equity Membership, however membership is limited to 350 members, so the only way to join this group is to purchase a Lahontan Golf Membership from an existing member. Memberships have been available and range in price from $30k to $40k. Each selling member sets their own price. The transfer of a Lahontan Golf Membership is $10,000 or 25% of the sales price, which ever is larger. Current annual dues are $15,900/year. Lahontan Golf Equity Membership include the following amenities:
- Access to Tom Weiskopf 18 Hole Golf Course (only Golf Equity Members - no social members)
- Access to the Tom Weiskopf 9 Hole Golf Course (only Golf Equity Members - no social members)
- Access to the Golf Practice Area (only Golf Equity Members - no social members)
- Access to all Lahontan Social Membership Amenities
- Guests can not play on the course unless the Equity Golf Member is present
- Optional Lahontan Social Memberships - Only available to property owners: $1,000 initiation fee. Annual Fee $7,950/year billed January 1 each year. Lahontan Social Membership provides access to the following amenities:
- Lawn Bowling
- Camp Lahontan Pavilion
- Recreation Swimming Pool
- Splash Pool
- Lap Pool
- Heated Spa
- Three (3) Clay Tennis Courts
- Two (2) Bocce Ball Courts
- Lodge and Dining Facilities (Additional fees for food and beverages)
- Day Spa (Additional fees for services)
- Fitness Area (Open year-around)
- Men's Locker Room (Open year-around)
- Women's Locker Room (Open year-around)
- Golf Shop
- Lahontan also offers additional services to members for an additional fee :
- House Watch $55/month
- Alarm Monitoring $25/month
- Design Review Committee - If you are building a new home, you'll have to work with the Design Review Committee, and there are additional Design Review Fees as part of the Lahontan new home building process. They are as follows:
- $6,000 for homes up to 3,250 square feet in size
- $9,000 for homes between 3,251 square feet to 6,000 square feet in size
- $10,000 for home over 6,000+ square feet in size
Check out these photos on Lahontan!
Lahontan, Truckee, California Current Real Estate MLS Listings :
Call Laura Allen at 530.414.1260 for a confidential consultation.
Overview and summary of this neighborhood completed by:
BROKER ASSOCIATE, Tahoe Real Estate Agent, Tahoe REALTOR®, CalRE# 01473598
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Buyers and Sellers should investigate and verify all information to their own satisfaction.