Carnelian Bay, California, 96140
Located on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe
Carnelian Bay, California
is located in the heart of the North Shore beginning just past Dollar Point and the Chinquapin condominium development (approximately three (3) miles east of Tahoe City), and travels along the North Shore of Lake Tahoe for about five (5) miles, putting it just shy of four (4) miles west of Kings Beach, California.
The Carnelian Bay area was originally named in the 1860's when the semi-precious Carnelian stones were discovered on the beaches of Lake Tahoe.
If you are familiar with the Carnelian semi-precious gemstone, it is a reddish-orange stone and is typically made into beads. You'll find the Carnelian gemstone rough (natural state before it is worked on by a jeweler, or gemologist and formed into a bead, cabochon, or faceted stone) It often appears as a tumbled piece of reddish-orange piece of sea glass. Over the years I've looked for the Carnelian gemstone rough on the public beaches in Carnelian Bay, along with the creek beds in the area that bring the stones/rough crystals down to Lake Tahoe, but I've yet to be successful in finding this treasure.
Today, Carnelian Bay is home to Gar Wood’s lakefront restaurant, the Sierra Boat Company, Magic Carpet miniature golf course, and the Old Post office restaurant, just to name a few of the more well-known businesses in the area. Carnelian Bay has a small commercial area and public beach area, which is dog friendly.
The Carnelian Bay area offers a lot of variety when it comes to neighborhood settings with an intimate mountain side/forest setting neighborhood with pine tree lined single car roads to larger neighborhoods with wide streets, little change in elevation, close to downtown Carnelian Bay and easy access.
A big feature of being on the North Shore is the all day sunshine, as the sun moves east to west. The central North Shore location makes it easy to get to any of our local ski resorts such as Northstar, Incline Village, Alpine Meadows, Squaw Valley, or Homewood.
Carnelian Bay is located in unincorporated Placer County in California and has a full-time population of about 524 people (2010 US Census).
Carnelian Bay's close proximity to all of Lake Tahoe recreational activities such as boating, hiking, biking (dirt and paved trails), tennis, golf, skiing, shopping, and restaurants makes this a great area for those that enjoy being outdoors, and looking to get away from it all, but like having many nearby options for dining.
The Carnelian Bay area is easily accessed all year-long and is a nice mix of full-time residents and second home owners.
There are several Carnelian Bay subdivisions that are well known on the North Shore:
Bay (+/- 643 Parcels in the Agate Bay Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Agate Bay Lakefront Homes for Sale
- Agate Bay Water Company - 530-546-3337 or 530-412-1636
Acres ( # Parcels in the Fulton Acres Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Fulton Water Company - 635 Woodchuck Drive, Carnelian Bay 530-583-3644
Heights (+/- 53 Parcels in the Carnelian Heights Subdivision per Placer County Records)
Flat (+/- Parcels in the Cedar Flat Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Cedar Flat Lakefront Homes for Sale
Highlands (+/- 106 Parcels in the Ridgewood Highlands Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Lake Forest (+/- 46 Parcels in the Lake Forest Subdivision per Placer County Records)
The Carnelian Bay area has single family home lots (including lakefront / waterfront), duplex, triplex, four-plex, motel, and commercial lots in this community. The Carnelian Bay area only has one condominium/townhouse developments, the Carnelian Woods complex.
The Carnelian Bay area is one of the larger communities on the North Shore but still has a small housing supply when compared to other areas around Lake Tahoe and the greater Truckee area. You'll find a limited supply of homes or condos on the market at any given time due to the popularity of the area.
Carnelian Bay home owners that want to belong to one of the recreational home owner amenities associations will find they have a few options. Property owners with a Home Owner Association option will find those properties tend to carry a market premium over other neighborhoods where that HOA membership is not an option
Carnelian Bay has Several Home Owner Associations or Recreational Amenity Clubs:
Agate Pier and Swim Club (Optional)
Lake Forest II
Lake Forest III/Lardin
Ridgewood Pier Owners Association (Optional)
Home Owner groups typically offer access to private beach areas. HOA groups often offer shared pier use, and/or buoy rental options. Some HOA groups also have a pool and tennis court areas, it just depends on the HOA group and the amenities and features they are offering that can add value to that neighborhood and property.
The primary benefit for home owners that have access to a private recreational area is to gain access to Lake Tahoe beaches and waterfront amenities that typically do not come with non-lakefront properties.
Membership into most local Carnelian Bay HOA groups is voluntary, but some are mandatory.
Carnelian Bay lakefronts, waterfronts, mountain homes, cabins, and cottages range in price from just under $400,000 to just under $12 million. The selection of Carnelian Bay homes is diverse and houses range from small studio Tahoe cabins to multi-million dollar lakefront estates.
The Carnelian Bay area is a favorite for second home owners and is a great place to live all year long!
Carnelian Bay Homes Sold Market Data, Market Trends, and Information:
Looking for Carnelian Bay real estate market data? Want to know current market trends? Get current Carnelian Bay Homes Sold Market data and for previous years. Get total homes sold, high, low, average median home sales prices, % cash buyers, % distressed sellers, and more here:
Ready to start your Carnelian Bay real estate property search?
See all of the Carnelian Bay area mountain homes, cabins, lakefronts, and land currently listed for sale in the Tahoe Sierra Multiple listing service here.
If you don't find what you are looking for, give me a call, I'm here ready to help you too!
More information about Carnelian Bay area is below the home search links!
Carnelian Bay Community Details:
- Carnelian Bay is located in unincorporated Placer County in the state of California, zip code 96140.
- Elevation at the shoreline at Lake Tahoe in Carnelian Bay is approximately 6,245 feet above sea level
- Approximately # +/- parcels
- Approximately +/- 98 Carnelian Bay Lakefront Homes
- Multiple zoning in the area: Single Family Residential Lots, Duplex/Triplex/Four-plex, Motel, Commercial Areas
- Mail Delivery via the US Postal Post Box System at 5075 North Lake Blvd., Carnelian Bay located in the small commercial building development
- Most homes are heated by natural gas, or electricity, however, there are a few homes that are on propane gas, and a few have some solar energy features
- Garbage is picked up once a week. It is highly recommended that property owners install a "bear box" to hold their garbage cans.
- Water is supplied to the area through various local Water Companies: Fulton Water Company, Agate Water Company, the North Tahoe Public Utility Department (NTPUD), or by private water well.
- Sewer - All properties in the Carnelian Bay area must be tied into the North Tahoe Public Utility Department (NTPUD) public sewer system. Septic systems are not allowed in the Tahoe Basin area.
- Nearby Public and State Parks and Resorts:
- Nearest mini-mart - 7-Eleven, downtown Carnelian Bay, CA
- Nearest mini-mart - 7-Eleven, Dollar Point, North Shore, Tahoe City, CA
- Grocery Markets - Downtown Tahoe City, CA, or Kings Beach, CA
- Nearest Gas Stations - Downtown Tahoe City, or Kings Beach, CA
Carnelian Bay, California Single Family Home Current Real Estate MLS Listings:
Carnelian Bay Area Photographs:
Overview and summary of this neighborhood completed by:
BROKER ASSOCIATE, Tahoe Real Estate Agent, Tahoe REALTOR®
Cal BRE# 01473598
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage CalBRE# 01908304
Tahoe City, CA 96145
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Buyers and Sellers should investigate and verify all information to their own satisfaction.