Homewood, California, 96141
Located on the West Shore of Lake Tahoe
Homewood, California is one of older communities and is located in the heart of West Lake Tahoe. The Homewood area begins about three and one-half miles south of the "Y" in Tahoe City.
Homewood runs along the West Shore of Lake Tahoe for about five miles and ends just past McKinney Creek. Homewood is accessed by California Highway 89 South.
The Homewood area is one more well-known and established neighborhoods in the Lake Tahoe area with historic landmark's like the Chambers Landing Bar and Grill that has been around since the late 1800's, along with Obexer's Marina in downtown Homewood that was established in 1911 and is still in business today.
Homewood is known for it's great skiing and the area local Homewood Ski Resort, where skiers enjoy panoramic views of Lake Tahoe as they soak in the Tahoe lifestyle.
Homewood is located in unincorporated Placer County in California. Homewood has a full-time population of about 744 people (2010 US Census). Homewood has a small commercial area with a post office, grocery store, a couple of seasonal restaurants, just to name a few of the services in the area.
Homewood’s close proximity to Lake Tahoe recreational activities such as boating, hiking, biking (dirt and paved trails), tennis, golf, skiing, shopping, and restaurants makes this a great area for those that enjoy being outdoors, and looking to get away from it all.
While the West Shore is known for getting more snow than other areas around Lake Tahoe, the Homewood neighborhood is easily accessed all year-long and is a nice mix of full-time residents and second home owners.
There are several subdivisions in Homewood, California. Some of the more popular subdivisions are:
- Chamberlands (Chambers Landing area) (+/- 360 Parcels in the Chamberlands Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- McKinney Estates (+/- 251 Parcels in the McKinney Estates Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- McKinney Shores (+/- 116 Parcels in the McKinney Shores Subdivision per Placer County Records)
Circle (+/- 33 Parcels in the Moana Circle Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Lakeside (+/- 92 Parcels in the Lakeside Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Sans Souci
Heights (+/- 81 Parcels in the Sans Souci Heights Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Tahoe Swiss Village (+/- 90 Parcels in the Tahoe Swiss Village Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Tahoe Pines (+/- 464 Parcels in the Tahoe Pine Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Idlewild (+/- Not available Parcels in the Idlewild Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- St. Michael's Woods (+/- 7 Parcels in the St. Michael's Woods Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Skyland (+/- 70 Parcels in the Skyland Subdivision per Placer County Records)
- Blackwood Cove (+/- 19 Parcels in the Blackwood Cove Subdivision per Placer County Records)
Parcel totals are approximate and subject to correction and/or change with out notice. Information from the Placer County Records.
The Homewood area has single family home lots (including lakefront / waterfront, split lakefront/waterfront), duplex, triplex, four-plex, motel, and commercial lots in this community. The Homewood area is one of the more developed locations on the West Shore of Lake Tahoe, but has a limited supply of properties available for sale in the West Lake Tahoe area.
It is easy to get around in Homewood as the subdivisions are smaller, and the hills are more gradual. One of the interesting features that property owners in the Homewood area enjoy are the number of different neighborhoods that offer some type of Lake Tahoe recreational amenities through a local home owners association. Homewood has eight (8) verses Tahoe City with Four (1), and Tahoma with only two (2) HOA recreational amenity groups.
Homewood Home Owner Associations:
Chambers Mountain and Beach Club
Chambers Landing Full Beach. Pool and Tennis Membership
Homewood Home Owners Association
Tahoe Swiss Village
Home Owner groups typically offer access to private beach areas. HOA groups often offer shared pier use, and/or buoy rental options. Some HOA groups have a pool and tennis court areas, it just depends on the HOA group and the amenities and features they are offering and will vary by neighborhood.
The primary benefit for home owners that have access to a private recreational area is to gain access to Lake Tahoe beaches and waterfront amenities that typically do not come with non-lakefront properties.
Membership into most local Homewood HOA groups is voluntary, and optional, but some HOA membership are mandatory and come with the purchase of the property.
Homewood lakefront, waterfronts, mountain homes, cabins, and cottages range in price from just under $500,000 to just over $6 million. The selection of Homewood homes is diverse and houses range from small studio Tahoe cabins to multi-million dollar lakefront estates.
The Homewood area is a favorite for second home owners and is a great place to live all year long!
Homewood Homes Sold Market Data, Market Trends, and Information:
Looking for Homewood real estate market data? Want to know current market trends? Get current Homewood Homes Sold Market data and for previous years. Get total homes sold, high, low, average median home sales prices, % cash buyers, % distressed sellers, and more here.
Ready to start your Homewood, CA real estate property search? See all of the Homewood area mountain homes, cabins, lakefronts, and land currently listed for sale in the Tahoe Sierra Multiple listing service here.
If you don't find what you are looking for, give me a call, I'm here ready to help you too!
More information about Homewood area is below the home search links!
Homewood Community Details:
- Homewood is located in unincorporated Placer County in the state of California, zip code 96141
- Elevation at the shoreline at Lake Tahoe in Homewood is approximately 6,235 feet above sea level
- Approximately +/- 1,583 residential parcels per Placer County Records
- Approximately +/- 104 Lakefront parcels per Google Maps
- Approximately +/- 32 Split Lakefront parcels per Google Maps
- Approximately +/- 65 Condominium / Townhouse Units per Placer County Records
- Multiple zoning in the area: Single Family Residential Lots, Duplex/Triplex/Four-plex, Motel, Commercial Areas
- Mail Delivery via the US Postal Post Box System at 5375 West lake Blvd., Homewood, California located in the commercial core on Highway 89 South
- Most homes are heated by natural gas, or electricity, however, there are a few homes that are on propane gas
- Garbage is picked up once a week. It is highly recommended that property owners install a "bear box" to hold their garbage cans.
- Water is supplied to the area through various local Water Companies, the Tahoe City Public Utility Department (TCPUD), or by private water well.
- Sewer - All properties in the Homewood area must be tied into the Tahoe City Public Utility Department (TCPUD) public sewer system. Septic systems are not allowed in the Tahoe Basin area.
- Seaplanes can land in Homewood, CA as it is a recognized water landing area
- Nearby Public and State Parks and Resorts:
- Nearest mini-mart - Obexer's in downtown Homewood, CA
- Nearest mini-mart - PDQ in Tahoma, CA
- Nearest mini-mart - Sunnyside Market in Tahoe City, CA
- Nearest gas stations - Tahoe City!
Current Real Estate MLS Listings
Overview and summary of this neighborhood completed by:
BROKER ASSOCIATE, Tahoe Real Estate Agent, Tahoe REALTOR®
Cal BRE# 01473598
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, Tahoe City, CA 96145
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Buyers and Sellers should investigate and verify all information to their own satisfaction.